Granada Mosaic 201 – 20 pointed star Moroccan mosaic tile with laces
Description: 20 pointed star Moroccan mosaic tile with embellishing laces seamless continuous uninterrupted mosaic.
Origin: Granada, Spain
Size: Custom fitted based on your space dimensions in preassembled rigid panels. Thickness is 5/8" or 17mm.
Applications: Ideal for bathroom wainscot, showers, kitchen backsplash, entryways, living room walls, spa, hammam and more. Can also be used as a mosaic table, fountain, etc. If you have a special application, contact us and we will be more then happy to work with you.
Price: Item priced per square foot
- As shown in main product photo
- Custom colors. Select your color combination from our numbered color palette. When you chose custom colors, we will work with you or your designer in order to achieve your desired coloration once we receive your order.
- Custom fitted based on your dimensions. We require width and length of area you need to tile with drawings, sketch and/or photos.
Ordering samples: Call or email us if you want to order samples.
When you order Moroccan tiles, it is always custom made for you.
Understanding the basics of Zellij production process will help you plan ahead of time and will make you appreciate more your product knowing what it takes to make it for you.
- Tile is handmade in Morocco with a production timeline between 2 to 8 weeks depending on the nature of the mosaics, season of the year, production log, etc
- Samples’ approval process easily takes people an average of 2 to 3 weeks unless it’s all virtual with photos.
- Ocean freight is the most economical solution, however it does take an average of 4 to 8 weeks approx. and it works best for clients who order in advance.
- Express air shipping is the best available option for air shipping currently. It is door to door with a timeline of 5 to 7 days.
01 - Preparation of the clay
||Once collected from the quarries of Fez, the clay is mixed in large basins and let sit for at least 48 hours until a homogeneous paste is formed.|
02 - Sun drying and shaping
|The clay is shaped into rectangle with wooden molds measuring of 10 cm by 20 cm or 4" by 8". These bricks of clay are then dried in the hot sun for a few days.|
03 - Molding
Once sundried, the rough clay bricks are manually cut in two distinct shapes, 5 cm by 15 cm or 2" by 6 " for the terracotta family and 10 cm by 10 com or 4" by 4" for the zellij family. The later is the base for all our handcut ceramic and mosaic tiles.
04 - Baking
The shaped and formed clay is sundried for a second time in the shade, then baked firstly at low temperature. Once the moisture is completely out, the kiln is fired at high temperature to bake the tile. This process takes a few weeks.
First production step results in two product families:
05 - Glazing
Natural terracotta and Zellij are both glazed using the same old techniques of dip glazing.
06 - Baking (again!)
After the glaze has been applied, the tiles are stacked like a deck of cards inside our traditional beehive kiln for a second baking.
07 - Manual cutting
The final glazed tiles are then cut into specific shapes from basic square tiles to more complex geometric shapes.
08 - Mosaic assembly
This is the last step of production where your mosaics are assembled in either interlocking units or custom fitted based on client’s choice.
09 - Shipping
This is the last step of production where your mosaics are scheduled for shipping after cleaning, quality control and packing.